Tuesday, March 29, 2011

day nineteen - a talent of yours

i'm not the kind of person to generally acknowledge that i am actually 'talented' at something - i more look on things like that as the idea that whatever it is that i am doing, i am doing for enjoyment, because i love it, not because i am any good at it. what's the point in living life and using your talents when you don't enjoy them?

so that brings me to what is probably my biggest passion in life, and i guess i would say the area where i bear the most talent - music.

it's been a part of my life for as long as i can remember.
when i was a baby mum would sing to me whenever i was upset, whenever i needed to be calmed, and almost every night she would stand by the piano and sing while my dad accompanied her.
by the age of 3, i could stand up and sing you most of the songs from the musical "Annie" (yes, i used to wish i was a little red-head with a head of curls...).
i began piano lessons in prep, with my sister already 3 years ahead of me.
when my sister began to learn clarinet, i joined the choir.
since then, the music in my life has only grown: i now play electric and double bass, piano, guitar, and to me most importantly is voice.

it's like the theory says, that we start off our lives as a 'clean slate', and from there we are changed by the environment we grow up in. music is something in your environment, and for me, a very important part of my childhood, of my life, and it seems to be where my so called 'talent' lies.

however, talent is often defined as: "natural abilities or qualities"
although this is true to a certain extent, if we did nothing with our talents then they wouldn't grow, and wouldn't be being used to their full extent.

i believe that talent is a combination of three things:
natural ability, hard work and passion.

yes, i have been told that i have a certain amount of talent when it comes to my vocal ability, but it would not sound anything like it does today if i hadn't have done any work to improve it.

but you know what? enough of that.
i don't care about how 'talented' people are at certain things, all that i care for is the enjoyment that you get out of whatever it is that you are doing.

i found my voice because of music.
i immersed myself in my school life through music.
i met my best friend through music.
i listen to music when i am happy.
i listen to music when i am sad.
and this music can have the power to make me feel these emotions, plus so many more.
and as a result, i express myself through music, and i can't imagine it any other way.


so i will leave you with something to ponder. it's my opinion and you don't have to agree but...

sometimes, passion is more important than talent.
and without hard work and passion,
what's the point in even having a talent?


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment