Tuesday, March 15, 2011

day nine - a photo you took

i'm just going to put it out there that i am not much of a photographer. of course, i love taking photos and experimenting with different things, but it's definitely nothing special.

the only place where i ever took real care in the taking of my photos, for a whole two weeks, was on my school trip to Japan last year.
however, instead of choosing one of the photos that i took of the landscape, or the beautiful gardens, or the shrines, or any time when the photo clearly demonstrates the culture and sophistication of this beautiful country, i have chosen this photo:



Lisa and Sayaka.
these two girls were my host sisters for 1 week while i stayed in Japan.

seeing this photo, i cannot even begin to describe how the memories come flooding back.
for starters, i took this photo myself, on the evening that we ventured up to see the Kobe lights at sunset; and what a beautiful night that was. completely exhausting, yes, but it was truly the end to a perfect day.

Lisa, my host sister who was the same age as me, spoke a little bit of English. she learns it at school, and knew enough to get by, similarly to how much Japanese i knew.
in fact, our usual conversation of the morning was: "you're crazy!!" "no... you're crazy!" "hahaha no... you're crazy" (we would giggle as we ran out the door to begin the 90 minute monorail/train/subway trip to school...)

meanwhile, Sayaka, my older host sister, didn't speak any English, but somehow i still managed to connect with her as though she was my real sister.

these two girls, as well as my host mum and dad, made me feel so welcome into their home, teaching me so much about the way that they live, and laughing both at me and with me at some of the most ridiculous things.

we only stayed with our host families for just under 1 week, and although there were times of frustration due to a language barrier or home sickness, when it was time to leave for Tokyo, i definitely wasn't ready to go... it was as though i had just settled in with my second family, and now my teachers were telling me that i had to leave them?

tears were shed, hugs were given, and we waved until we could no longer see them. but it's okay, because i know that i will see them again one day. and hopefully my sisters can come and stay here in Australia, and i can welcome them into my home, into my life, just as they did for me.

ありがとう
thankyou
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment